From Knoxville TN, WVLT, the The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have revealed a three-week-old girl died of salmonella transmitted by a pet turtle. 

There has been one death, and 22 infections by reptiles across the US since September and about six percent of all salmonella infections in the US are caused by reptiles. 

Here’s what you need to know: 

Always wash your hands with hot, soapy water after handling reptiles.

Don’t allow reptiles to have access to any room where food is prepared.

Don’t eat, drink or smoke when handling reptiles.

And don’t use the kitchen or bathroom sink to bathe them or their cage, aquarium or dishes.

Advertisements